So I decided to change the title of my blog today. For no specific reason, other than I have been trying to think of something a little more catchy than "The O'Connor Family".
I think it all started a few days ago. While I was visiting Kevin in California there were a few days I had to find things to do to entertain myself while Kevin was in class. One of these days I drove to Santa Rosa, and found a Barnes and Noble. I was determined to find a book on moving to Alaska, which I never did. But it made me think back to about 2 years ago when Kevin first signed with the Coast Guard. He signed his contract, and agreed to 6 years of his life (and mine), starting a month after our wedding. As soon as we got back from signing his contract I went to Barnes and Noble determined to find a book for Coast Guard wives. Although there was nothing directly targeted to CG wives, I did find a book called "The Military Wife Handbook". It was somewhat informational, but it really did not offer much information on the CG. You see, although the CG is a branch of the military, we are very fortunate. I do not have to worry about Kevin getting deployed to Iraq for 12 months. It was in this small difference that made me realize there is a world of differences between each branch of the military.
Although I have been fortunate enough to find a web forum targeted to CG wives (which has been my saving grace through this move), I feel that there needs to be some way to reach out and help other CG wives who are new to this whole process as well. There is a big difference between an enlisted E-3 seaman(bottom of the totem pole) and an officer's way of life, and wife. It is with this thought, and knowledge that I have started to think about possibly writing my own book. Granted it is just a thought, I wouldn't even feel right starting it until further down the road. I have always thought my life was interesting and fun enough to make into a reality T.V. show on MTV, but I guess writing it into a book is a little more classy. So the rusty old wheels in my brain have been turning up a storm the past couple of days. The first thought being, what on earth would I even write about?! And then it hit me... my life (duh!) I must say there have been very few dull moments in my life since my senior year in high school. But I decided if I were to write a book that's main purpose is to help CG wives, then it would need to begin when my CG wife career began (and since I only have about 2 years of "experience" this is why I feel the need to hold off a little longer). Not saying this will be a book that is going to map out what every acronym is, how to get health care, what military housing is like, etc. but rather, a book that will open up and show what my life was like going through the same things they are about to endure, or have already started enduring.
So that is how I came up with the new title for my blog. If I were to ever write a book, that is what I would title it. I'm still thinking about how I would "describe" it to catch the reader's eye, but I have a feeling it will say something along the lines of "A book about life, love, the Coast Guard, TTC, and every other twist and turn along the way" Okay okay, so I just pulled that out of thin air right this second and it needs a little work, but Hey...a girl can dream!
And worse case scenario... I can just have my blog printed into a book! HA!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What a great idea... I would so buy it! Maybe I could even get it autographed :)
Post a Comment