Lately I have felt like Kevin and I are slipping into a horrible rut of a routine. With his work schedule and my lack of any schedule, we are getting to where we do absolutely nothing all day long. You see, Kevin works a swing shift- two weeks of day shifts, and two weeks of night shifts. I'm sure his body is in shock, but even on his days off we are getting into the habit of staying up late, therefore sleeping in late.
This wouldn't be such an issue, except I am extremely worried about what kind of effects this will have on our bodies. I'm already worried about how we will handle our first winter here, since it is pretty much dark for months. We have been told that it is very easy to slip into depression, and to make sure that you stay busy and out of the house. It has been about a week since I started feeling sick, and I can honestly say I have only left the house three times in a week! How sad is that?!? And to make matters worse, it's not like I am doing anything special at home. I am sitting in front of the computer and TV for hours at a time.
After watching tonight's episode of The Biggest Loser, I realized that it is time for change. Kevin and I really need to get our priorities in order, and we need to start making a better life for ourselves. Since we have been in Kodiak, the only form of social activity we get is at the bar. And the cherry on top... the bars don't close until 5 am here! So you are guaranteed to feel like absolute crap the next day. We sat and talked a while about this, and have come up with a list of things that we both want to "fix".
1.) Go to the gym. There is no reason we shouldn't already be doing this. It is on base (30 seconds from our house), and is a great way to get out of the house.
2.) Start a healthier lifestyle. This goes hand in hand with going to the gym. We want to start eating healthier, not drinking as much, and getting outside more often. This includes taking the dogs for a walk any day that it is not rainy.
3.) Keeping the house clean. Our house is always "tidy" but I would like to get into the habit of doing a good cleaning at least once a week. That includes dusting, scrubbing the tub, mopping, and steam cleaning the carpets.
4.) Keep up with the laundry! It seems like we put this off until the very last minute, and then have 10 loads we have to do! I want to start doing a load midweek, like on Wednesday, and another on Sunday. This way it never piles up so much that it is overwhelming.
5.) Cooking and Eating together. We have already started cooking together alot more, and we both really enjoy it. The problem is, we then go and sit in front of the TV on the couch to eat our dinner. My new goal is for us to start actually eating at the dining room table.
6.) Find a church. Pretty self explanatory.
7.) More intimacy. Lately it feels like the only time we are "close" is when we think I am ovulating. The rest of the time I am usually so upset that we have not gotten pregnant, that I don't want Kevin to even touch me. This one really bothers me, and yet I don't have any set plan on how to improve on this.
8.) To just live a happier, healthier, stress-free, and more active life. This is what all of these adjustments will eventually lead to.
And on top of all of this- I put in a job application today, and I have 3 more to drop off tomorrow! Woo hoo! Now, if I could just get a job and start already! I'm sick of sitting at home all day and would really like a little bit of structure to my day. I will also be calling the doctor tomorrow to set up an appointment for the end of the month to discuss fertility issues.
So all in all- tomorrow is a big day. I feel like it is the start of something new... a new and improved way of life and love and happiness! Here's to me and my lists! Cheers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Go Team O'Conner!!!
I love you kiddo...I am so proud to hear you identify the issues at hand and set a plan to address them. Know that I love you and think about you all the time and want only the best for you and Kevin. During my darkest moments I found that there are two ways to handle them, one is to let them destroy you, in which case you are no good to anyone, and the other is to pick yourself up and move on with life. This of course won't be easy but it sure will be worth it in the end. Stay strong, keep your head up, know that your family loves you and is there for you, and lean on God, he truly loves you and is there for you. I miss you, Love Dad.
Post a Comment