Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 4, 2010

Feeling Worn Out...In a Good Way!

Well, I'm sure those of you who are my friend on Facebook have heard the wonderful news... I got a job! WOO HOO!! I am currently employed full time with the Coast Guard Child Development Center- which means I get to play with wonderful children ranging from 6 weeks to 10 years old all day long!

Right now I am in the training phase. I went in on Wednesday to do some paperwork, and was asked if I could go in immediately following. I showed up and talked with the director for about an hour, took a tour of the facility, and got a run down of what to expect over the next four days (orientation/training).

My first full day was Wednesday (8:30-5:30) and I must tell you...I was EXHAUSTED by the time I got home. My day went something like this:

8:30-12:30 I was with the "polar bear" group (older 3's and 4's)
12:30-1:30 Lunch
1:30-3:30 Training
3:30-5:30 I was with the "bear" group (older 2's and 3's)

It was a great experience and both age groups were AWESOME! I love the way the CDC runs this center, and what they are teaching these kids. They are so well behaved and have outstanding manors.

Needless to say, after I got home I was wiped out! Luckily, I have an amazing husband who made sure to have the house all cleaned up, and dinner ready by the time I walked in the door.

Today I went in from 7:30-4:30 and got to spend my day with the much younger kiddos.
I was with the infants from 7:30-10:30
Training from 10:30-11:30
Younger toddlers from 11:30-12:30
Lunch from 12:30-1:30
Training from1:30-2:30
And Older toddlers from 2:30-4:30

I wasn't as pooped when I got home this afternoon (hopefully my body is getting used to having to go to bed early and wake up early), but it is about 8:15 pm and I'm ready for bed!

I'm embarrassed to admit this is my first full time job, so I'm not used to having such a long work day. I can remember working a 6 hour shift at the EXIT, and thinking I was going to die because I thought that was a long period of time. Now instead of dealing with cussing teens and bad attitudes, I get to "deal with" runny noses, changing diapers, and crying. (I guess this is a good look into parenthood!)

That being said... As much as I already love this job, it does have its difficult moments. For instance, this morning being with infants. This is the group that I would love to be with, but at the same time they are the most difficult for me to cope with. I felt like I was in heaven this morning getting to love on what felt like thousands of babies (okay...it was like 6) but at the end of the day... they aren't mine. On top of that, I have a co-worker now who is 6 months pregnant, and it seems as though everything out of her mouth has to deal with her maternity leave or the excitement of having her first baby. Don't get me wrong- I'm happy for her (I don't really know her, so why would I have resentment towards her) but it just gets to be too much at times.

I know I know... this is supposed to be a happy, excited post (which it is), but I had to throw in my sensitivities as well. I know it will get easier over time, and hopefully I will get pregnant with my own baby soon enough, and then it will make me enjoy my job even more!

No comments: