Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, June 28, 2010

Weekend Warriors

This weekend Kevin and I talked about how we wanted to stay in, relax, and just spend some quality time together. He was just getting off his two weeks of night shifts, so we really hadn't seen each other much over that time period. We planned on having a nice date night on Saturday, including dinner and a movie.

Friday afternoon, while I was at work we took the kids to the pool. While I was waiting for them to get dressed, I found a Better Homes and Garden magazine... my mind kept telling me to just walk away, but my heart grabbed it and started flipping through the pages. Soon my thoughts were filled with all the possibilities for our new "house".

That night Kevin and I ordered a pizza, watched one of our Netflix movies, and stayed up until about 1 am just talked. It felt great since we hadn't done that in forever! Of coarse during our conversation, I brought up my "ideas" of what I would like to fix for the house. This included painting our desk chair (Sorry Mom!) and painting a few canvases to add a new feeling to our walls. I also mentioned I wanted to try and find a chair for our bedroom - something to sit in to put your shoes on, or to just sit and read in. Kevin had a few things he wanted to do for his truck, so we made our list and hit the hay.

We somewhat slept in on Saturday, then headed to the exchange to see if they had a cheap chair. You see... the best part about the exchange is that it has a little something called "IN HOME lay-away". You put 10% down, then pay the remaining balance over 6 months, all while you get to enjoy your purchase in your own home. And the best part is there is no interest like a credit card! So anyways... I didn't find a chair...bummer. BUT, I did find a dining room table/chairs that were reasonably priced and I LOVED them. Kevin and I have been talking about how our next piece of furniture that we would but would be a dining set since we don't have anywhere for people to sit and eat when they come over. Well, you guessed it! We put it on hold, so we could think about it, while we ran into town to get everything else that we really "needed".

As we walked to the paint aisle at Walmart for a $1.25 can of black spray paint for my desk chair, I saw the REAL paint. I've been telling Kevin that if we are going to stay in this "house" for the next 3 years I really want to paint, so it will feel more like a home. And I guess we are stuck in this house for the next 3 years because that paint was just daunting and we ended up buying a gallon. Once that was in the cart, we decided that if we were going that far, we might as well get the wall mount for the TV that we have been debating on as well.

Needless to say...our weekend of a few DIY "art" projects turned into a full blown week-end warriors home makeover! I LOVE the paint color, and can't wait to finish painting the living room. We originally thought we were just going to paint two walls, but I love the color so much I'm ready to paint the rest of the room. We also got the TV mounted and it looks AWESOME! Oh, and did I mention... we got the dining room table! It was a great weekend, and the shocking thing was we didn't spend a ton of money and I already love our house 1000 times more! (except we already have new neighbors above us... ugghh... and the neighbors across the hall called the housing office today to complain about the dogs barking)

Now if we could just get some friend and family to come visit us to check out our new pad! But regardless... I will post pictures once I have enough energy to finish hanging last minute details on the wall.

On a more random note- today was my first day in the baby room! I had 5 kiddos today- all between 11-16 months. They were a hand full, but I LOVED every second of it! Starting Thursday, I will have a total of 8 kids in my room, so they will have to bring in another teacher, but I was told today that I am the head teacher of the "waddler" room!! :) YAY!! I feel very accomplished to be moving up this quickly, and I already have tons of ideas on how I want to redecorate the room. Now to start researching fun activities to do with such little guys.

No comments: