As I am slowly but surely starting to feel better with each coming day, I have to thank God for helping me through this. Although I do find myself every once in a while still asking "Why?" I am beginning to see that maybe the reason I am having to go through this is to help strengthen my faith, and to realize it is time to start helping those in need.
I can remember being so active with my church growing up, and with that doing so much to help families in need. I can remember vividly the one Sunday a year the majority of the congregation would gather in the gym to put boxes of food together for families around Thanksgiving. We would then devide them up and deliver them. It made Thanksgiving that much more special, and helped show that we have so much to be thankful for. It helped keep priorities in line, and I can remember crying every year when I saw kids around my age having to live in such difficult conditions. My other favorite activity was at Christmas getting a list of children and the items they would want and need. Our youth group would make a trip to Target and we would each get a child's name and a certain amount of money to spend. We then each got to go through the store and pick out what it was that we wanted to give that child based on what they had requested, and often times it was a few toys and shoes. Once we all purchased our gifts we would go back to the church, wrap them, and then deliver them.
Although these only took place twice a year, and around the holidays, it always touched my heart and made me want to be a part of something bigger. As the holidays are beginning to aproach this year, I am looking forward to finding sothing to volunteer my time with. Kevin and I will be participating in a walk for children with down syndrome along with my close friend Kelli and her mom on October 11th. Although all I am really contributing is a small donation, it is a start. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let me know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment