Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, April 26, 2010

April Showers Bring BOREDOM!

It still blows my mind that Kevin and I have already been in Kodiak for 3 weeks! Some days it feels like we got here yesterday, whereas other days it feels like we have already been here for months.

I am glad to report that the house has come along quite nicely, and everything is pretty much unpacked. There are still a few last minute touches, like hanging up curtains and trying to fill a few blank spots on the walls, but nothing major. It still kills me to drive through the other neighborhoods and see all the houses with their backyards and garages, but I guess I should be thankful that we were able to move into something so soon. The layout of our house is pretty nice, and the living/dining room is very spacious. The one thing that kills me is not having a yard for the dogs, but I guess I will just have to learn to deal. Other than that, we have a huge basement which is where our washer/dryer is and a storage unit which is so massive we don't even fill it up 1/3 of the way! Furniture stores are pretty much non existent unless you want to pay big bucks, so our new TV stand and desk are from WalMart, but I can't complain too much. We don't have the nicest furniture to begin with (mostly hand-me-downs) but with all of the moving around we have done, it has gotten pretty beat up. Once we find a place where we will stay a little more permanently we will splurge on some new stuff, but for now it works just great!

Other than the house, we have met some amazing people who have really welcomed us in. We went bowling with two other couples this past Saturday, and I think it is something that will turn into a weekly event. I was also fortunate enough to already find a job! I will be working with the Teen Center on base, helping coordinate and plan and work all of their events (Bingo night, dances, lazer tag, skate night, etc). I'm considering applying to be a lifeguard on the side as well. There is a huge indoor pool, where they are desperate for lifeguards. It would mostly be something to do on the side to help keep me busy and out of the house, but we will see what my schedule is like with the Teen Center first. I am still waiting for them to process all of my background checks and paperwork, and will hopefully start working the end of this week, or next. I'm DYING to start... I am getting pretty tired of being cooped up all day.

For the most part the weather hasn't been as bad as I was expecting...until yesterday! We have had to deal with a few rainy days, but nothing like yesterday. The wind was so bad, I thought for sure I was in the middle of a hurricane. As I was standing outside with the dogs, the 3 of us were nearly beat to death by the lashing wind and rain. Today the wind isn't as bad, but the rain has not let up at all. It really makes it difficult to want to get out and do anything (although there are not many options to begin with). But the opposite is true as well... when there is a pretty,sunny day, all you want to do is stay outside and soak it all in. Don't get me wrong... it is still cold, but the sun feels wonderful on your face (since the rest of your skin is covered up with layers of clothing)!

Thursday was a nice sunny day, so we decided to invite the two guys that graduated A-school with Kevin over for a BBQ. It was a little chilly, but the sun was out and since it had been raining the 3 days prior, we were ready to be outside. As we were sitting around the deck, it started to snow! Completely out of nowhere... a few wind gusts, some snow flakes, and it stopped (thank goodness)! We got a good laugh out of it, and continued on. Not 5 minutes later, another gust brought more snow! It was a little harder and longer the second time around, so we ran in and grabbed gloves and beanies. We were determined to enjoy the outdoors... and it was still sunny with the snow! It eventually blew over, and the rest of the evening was perfect.

Other than that, nothing new is going on the with the O'Connors. Lots of web surfing, video game playing, movie watching, P90Xing, with a little socializing mixed in. I DID finally order my camera this past week, so I am waiting very UNpatiently for it to arrive! I can't wait to test out all of the features and get Kevin to finally take me to some of the beaches to do some whale watching. There is also a huge Flea Market on base this Saturday that we are going to check out (not that we need any more crap!). We also caught wind of another local festival called Crab Fest. It is at the end of May, and it is THE festival to go to. They set up carnival rides along the boat docks, and have all kinds of vendors. I was looking over the schedule and sadly, I am looking the most forward to the book sale! All of the proceeds benefit the local library, and the books are supposedly sold dirt cheap. I plan on stocking up on children's books since you can never have enough of those! There is also talk that Chip-N-Dale's male dancers from L.A. will be in town... (wish Kelli was here to go with me!) but that is just a rumor.

It's funny to me how your perspective on life can really effect how you live it. Thankfully I had prepared myself for living in Kodiak, knew somewhat what to expect, and have been pleasantly surprised with how everything has turned out. I actually look forward to spending the next 3 years here, and I am happy to call Kodiak "home" (for now...).

No comments: