Friday Morning we woke up early and drove about an hour north of Petaluma. We had been told there were two Redwood forests close by, one near San Francisco (south of Petaluma) and one the opposite direction. they went ahead and told us to not get our hopes up, because these were not the forests you can drive your car through the tree. The one we chose to go to was described as "less touristy" and that was very true! We were the biggest tourists there, in fact we were the only ones there with a camera! Everyone else was there jogging with their strollers or dogs. It was a trail that was a little over a mile and took us about an hour to walk. It was so peaceful and breath taking.
So if you ever get the chance, you need to go to...
The trees weren't as big as I was expecting. They were extremely tall, but not as wide as I was anticipating.


The trees weren't as big as I was expecting. They were extremely tall, but not as wide as I was anticipating. 

I've always wanted to hug a huge Redwood, and I finally got to!! Too bad Kevin wouldn't be a good sport and get in on the "tree hugging" action!

This was the tallest tree in the park. It was something like 1300 years old!!
On our way to the Redwood's we were already thinking about where we were going to stop and eat. As we drove through a small town right outside of the forest, we came across this!! Kevin has a weird fascination with lawn gnomes (it steams from a family trip we took when I was a senior in high school) and we decided on our way back we would take pictures with the house sized gnome and then find a place to eat.


After we enjoyed the forest we were both starving. Right next to our lawn gnome we saw this place. Having no idea what it was, we went off the appearance alone. It had a nice deck to sit and eat on, and since it was such a beautiful day we decided it would be perfect. It ended up being one of the best places we ate my entire visit! It is just a little shack, and you have no choice but to eat outside! They are known for their hot dogs, but I had a pulled pork sandwich that was to die for! The owner cooks everything on a huge grill right in front of you, while their chocolate lab wanders around saying hello to all the customers. The local sheriff was there chatting away with the owner/cook.
The other owner/wife walked around and gave each of us a nice little treat. It was a gummy hot dog! I was no nervous to eat mine (and actually still have not) but Kevin devoured his and said it was delicious!
On our way back, Kevin decided to take me to Bodega Bay. He had been once before, and said I had to see it. It isn't very well known to "outsiders" and was full of all the locals. It was honestly one of the most beautiful beaches/ bays I have ever seen. But then again, I'm a sucker for the jagged rock/ cliff/ smashing waves kind of beaches.



On our way to the Redwood's we were already thinking about where we were going to stop and eat. As we drove through a small town right outside of the forest, we came across this!! Kevin has a weird fascination with lawn gnomes (it steams from a family trip we took when I was a senior in high school) and we decided on our way back we would take pictures with the house sized gnome and then find a place to eat.


After we enjoyed the forest we were both starving. Right next to our lawn gnome we saw this place. Having no idea what it was, we went off the appearance alone. It had a nice deck to sit and eat on, and since it was such a beautiful day we decided it would be perfect. It ended up being one of the best places we ate my entire visit! It is just a little shack, and you have no choice but to eat outside! They are known for their hot dogs, but I had a pulled pork sandwich that was to die for! The owner cooks everything on a huge grill right in front of you, while their chocolate lab wanders around saying hello to all the customers. The local sheriff was there chatting away with the owner/cook.
The other owner/wife walked around and gave each of us a nice little treat. It was a gummy hot dog! I was no nervous to eat mine (and actually still have not) but Kevin devoured his and said it was delicious!
On our way back, Kevin decided to take me to Bodega Bay. He had been once before, and said I had to see it. It isn't very well known to "outsiders" and was full of all the locals. It was honestly one of the most beautiful beaches/ bays I have ever seen. But then again, I'm a sucker for the jagged rock/ cliff/ smashing waves kind of beaches.

The next day was Valentines Day. We have already decided we would spend the afternoon in Napa Valley. The drive alone was probably my favorite part. I felt as though I was in Italy. The hills went on for miles and were just covered in vineyards!

We went to two different wineries. We were planning on 3, but two was plenty! The first one we went to was one of the newest and smallest wineries. I wish we would have bought a few bottles from them because they don't sell their wine anywhere but at their vineyard.

This was the second winery we stopped at. It was just as nice, but it was packed1 I loved the atmosphere from the Black Stallion winery, and could have spent all day there.






1 comment:
Beautiful!!! Looks like a great visit. BTW, you look so pretty in that last picture!
Post a Comment