Today is our last day in Haines, AK and I can actually say I will miss this little town. I hope Kodiak is as friendly and quaint as it has been here. Everyone has fallen in love with Charlie (poor Winston... but he is rather grumpy) and continuously offer us tips (like using a broom) and keep calling to check customs and road conditions for us.
We ate at the Bamboo Room again today for lunch, and it was just as good as breakfast! I had a BBQ bacon burger that was delicious and Kevin had a halibut taco salad...I had one bite of his and wished I had chosen that instead though! We walked down to the general store again to stock up on more soup for the next few days, and are waiting to call the auto part store to see if they received tire chains that will fit our car.
It has stopped snowing and has warmed up to a whopping 37 degrees! All of the snow is starting to turn to slush, but it should stay warm enough the next few days that it wont ice over. So here are the plans for the next few days, hoping that all goes well with the weather...
We are both so ready to get to Kodiak already, but it has been nice having a few days to just relax and have some fun on this journey. I probably wont be able to post again until we get to Anchorage,but I will keep track of everything (just like on the ferry) so I can fill you in on anything exciting that happens (and with our luck, I am sure that something interesting will happen!)
We ate at the Bamboo Room again today for lunch, and it was just as good as breakfast! I had a BBQ bacon burger that was delicious and Kevin had a halibut taco salad...I had one bite of his and wished I had chosen that instead though! We walked down to the general store again to stock up on more soup for the next few days, and are waiting to call the auto part store to see if they received tire chains that will fit our car.
It has stopped snowing and has warmed up to a whopping 37 degrees! All of the snow is starting to turn to slush, but it should stay warm enough the next few days that it wont ice over. So here are the plans for the next few days, hoping that all goes well with the weather...
- Tomorrow we will leave Haines and drive to Tok, AK. It is about 443 miles, but we have been told to expect for it to take anywhere from 7-12 hours. Unfortunately we were not able to get reservations at Caribou Cabins, which is where we had heard such wonderful things about, but instead we are staying at Burnt Paw Cabins. I am actually a little more excited about staying here because they raise sled dogs there, and we are allowed to see/pet/hold the puppies! Plus we get to watch the grown up dogs practice, and even take pictures on a sled with them!! :) We will be staying here March 25 and 26th.
- We will wake up the 27th, and drive to Anchorage, which is a 4 1/2 hour drive. We will be staying at the Microtel Inn and Suites March 27, 28, and 29th. The hotel looks pretty nice online, and we will have WiFi and a gym (I have been dying to get some sort of physical activity in... I'm starting to feel huge again!) We plan on figuring out where we will stay in Homer once we get this far along...
- March 30th we will wake up and drive to Homer, which is another 4 hour drive. This is where we will stay until April 1st, which is when we will get on the ferry that will take us to Kodiak!!!
We are both so ready to get to Kodiak already, but it has been nice having a few days to just relax and have some fun on this journey. I probably wont be able to post again until we get to Anchorage,but I will keep track of everything (just like on the ferry) so I can fill you in on anything exciting that happens (and with our luck, I am sure that something interesting will happen!)

No comments:
Post a Comment