Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 2, 2010

BIG NEWS!

How could I have forgotten!! The big news we had been waiting for were Kevin's picks on where we would possibly be moving. We received these the Friday before Kevin flew in, and lets just say that we will not be anywhere near Texas. The way the whole thing is set up is kind of screwy and is on a ranking system. There are 18 people in Kevin's class, 6 of which are girls. There are 12 land bases, and 6 cutters (the big boats that are out of 3-6 months at a time). The 6 girls are guaranteed land bases, so Kevin basically has a 50/50 chance of either a land base or a cutter. We are really pushing for a land base since it would be a dream come true to have my husband come home to me every night, and not gone for months at a time. Kevin doesn't know where he stands as far as the ranking system, but has an idea that he is about number 7 or 8. This puts 6-7 guys in front of him and 1 girl. Since there are only 6 land bases, it could come down the point where he has no option, but a cutter. Due to this, we have a "strategy" we are basically going to pick the land station that we are about 99% positive no one wants to go to, and put that as our first pick! Now I know you are probably thinking, "just tell me what the damn picks are already!" so here goes...

Land Bases (the ones that I can at least remember):
Maine
Lake Michigan
Massachusetts
2 in Virginia
Jacksonville, Florida (Kevin says there is no chance at getting that one)
San Fransisco, California
Long Island, New York
Buffalo, New York
Kodiak, Alaska

Cutters:
3 in Hawaii
2 in Alaska
1 in San Diego, CA (Kevin says there is no chance at getting that one either)

So what could be the worst possible land base? I'm sure you have guessed it... Kodiak, Alaska! That is what will be out number one choice as to where we will be moving in March. At first I thought we must be out of our minds, but as it has begun to sink in, I am really pretty excited. We still don't know if that will be where we are going for sure, but our hope is that a few people that are in front of Kevin in the ranks will chose to go to Hawaii (I mean what single guy wouldn't want to) and that will almost guarantee us Kodiak, which guarantees me my husband at home every night.

Kevin will put in our list on Monday, and keep your fingers crossed that we will know for certain where we are moving by Friday! Who knows if that will happen with how slow things seem to move around there, but a girl can hope!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I think Alaska sounds awesome!!!! It would be fun to be able to say you've lived in Alaska some day. Fingers crossed for you guys!!!!!