Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, November 6, 2009

What a Tragedy

As many of you know, yesterday there was a horrible attack on Fort Hood, Texas. As the details of the attack keep being released, I am filled with more anger and most of all fear. I can remember vividly the day the twin towers were hit and everything that progressed on 9/11. This day, which they are calling a "terrorist" attack as well, hits a lot closer to home for me. I just moved off an an army post in Maryland less than a month ago, and I can say from personal expereince that I never felt safer than when I was on the army post. Most of the soldiers on Fort Hood have been to Iraq an average of 4 times!! I can't imagine having my husband deploy, come back safe, and then be killed at "home". I can't fathom what these families are having to go through, and my thoughts and prayers are with all of them.

Being a part of the military "family" really opens your eyes to several things. First of all, when was the last time that you took a long, deep look at our flag...watching it sway in the wind, and think about what is actually stands for. Do the words to our national anthem give you goosebumps? I can't seem to get through any sporting event without tearing up because of these "minor" things. So many people don't even appreciate the simple beauty of this, and I used to be one of them! Having the opportunity to watch my husband do colors and bring the flag down at the end of the day has been one of the patriotic moments in my life. Secondly, I think it makes you realize how often we take life for granted. These soldiers who deploy, leave their loved ones back at home wondering if they will ever return. How many people can actually say that they would have the courage to do that?! I know I don't...and that is what makes me so proud of my husband. Although the odds of him getting deployed are slim to none, I know that there may come a time when his life will be put in danger, and he has volunteered for it.

God Bless America and our soldiers!