So I have been a pretty big blogger slacker lately, and I apologize for that! School has been more chaotic than ever, and figuring out life without Kevin has been an adventure in itself. The dogs have taken turns surprising me with wonderful little presents in their kennels everytime I have a stressful day, and between exams, projects, quizzes, and group projects my days seem to keep running into one another. I can't complain too much about this though, it has made time fly by much quicker than expected.
Kevin is already in his 5th week at basics. I have only received two "real" letters from him, but both have been deeply needed. It still surprises me how quickly time has flown by, and how well I have managed to handle everything. I really expected to be an emotional wreck with him gone, but taking things one day at a time really seems to work. Don't take me wrong, this has not been a walk in the park and lately it seems like everything reminds me of him, but we are in the home stretch now. Only 23 more days until I get to see my wonderful husband!!
I'm not going to quote his letters word for word since they are special and really only meant for my eyes, but I will let you know what exciting expereinces Kevin has been dealing with over the past 5 weeks.
I recieved his first letter October 17th, and ripping it open was like I could finally take a huge breath again. It was such a relief to hear from him and know that things had gotten a little easier from the first week. He has made some friends while being there, most of which are in a relationship or engaged themselves. He talks about his friend Mills who is planning on proposing to his girlfriend once they get out of basics. He is also guaranteed district 5, so there is a possibility that we could live in the same city, or at least near eachother.
He talked about how the minute they got there it was just constant yelling, and his team has not been able to work together as a team. He got his head shaved, drug tested (which someone pooped on themselves during this...), and a ton of shots. He has found ways to cope with the stressfulness of everything, mainly by praying.
The second letter I recieved I got October 23rd. His company is still having problems working together, and he is frustrated since they all have to pay for the mistakes of others. He found out he got his first cavitiy and had to go to the dentist! He was also asked to be his CC if he would like to be yeomen/ squad leader. He is now the CC's right hand man for leadership and extra paperwork and filing. He has to do his best on everything now since he is being constantly watched. He now gets to go to bed at 11 pm and wake up at 4 am!
He recently had a class on the history of the Coast Guard, which gave him a sense of pride in what he is doing. He said, " I am a part of something so much bigger and it scares me, but at the same time it feels great."
--------------------
Sounds like he is learning to love it there and that he is doing great. I am so proud of him, and I know he is doing his best (obvioulsy he is doing something right if he was asked to be a leader)! Please keep him in your prayers. I am hoping for my first phone call from him this weekend and might actually find out where we are moving to (keep your fingers crossed!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment