Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chronicles of a Sleep Deprived Mom (Night 2)

I was a little nervous coming into night two. I don't know why... maybe because the first night wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think deep down inside I thought his shots were what helped him sleep better (or at least fall back to sleep rather quickly).

So we followed our same schedule. I considered letting him take a 30 minute cat nap from around 5:30 to try and stretch him out so he wouldn't go to bed until 8, but he was fighting it, and I thought, don't mess with something that is working.

So here is how night two went...

Night Two- Saturday:
  • Nursed Kael at 7 pm, and he fell asleep. I put him in his crib, and he stayed asleep.
  • He woke once when Winston barked around 8:15, whinned a little, and went right back to sleep
  • Slept until 1:30, I heard him whinning and tossing a little through the monitor and then he was back to sleep. I didn't even get out of bed to check on him (bad mom!)
  • At 4:30 he started whinning, and then it stopped. A few minutes later he began to cry. Then it stopped. I went to check on him and I could see his arms and legs up in the air, so I went back to my room to listen to the monitor. He had little bursts of crying for about 30 minutes. The crying was only a few seconds, and then would stop.
  • At 5, I finally caved and decided I would feed him again. At this point he was crying hard, and it was a cry I had never heard before. When I went to pick him up, I realized it must have been his "I'm uncomfortable" cry because he was soaking wet! From his shoulder to his foot, he was drenched in pee (how that happened... I have NO clue!) His blanket and sheet were wet as well.
  • I changed him (not saying a word and keeping the lights off) and then nursed him. Since his sheets needed to be changed, I went ahead and took him into my room and laid him in the pack n play. He was still awake, and without any crying, eventually went back to sleep (not sure when since he didn't make a single noise).
  • I woke to him "talking" to himself this morning at 7:30. He was in a great mood and gave me his famous smile as soon as he saw me peek over the side of the pack n play. I pulled him into bed with me and we cuddled until dad got home, and then all 3 of us snuggled until 8.
I know I am probably setting myself up for disaster by feeding him at 5 both mornings, but I figured we would work at that when the time comes. I would rather work on getting rid of the frequent night wakings and feedings (he was getting fed 2-3 time a night). Once he is sleeping entirely through the night, then we will work on weening him off of the 5 am feeding.

It seemed like there was a big improvement from the first and second night, so I am anxious to see how tonight goes. I am hoping he will drop all night wakings, with the exception of around 4:30-5 (I'm anticipating that one to stick around).

We will see how naps go today as well. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Sounds like it is heading in the right direction! Way to go!!