Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What's New

I realize that this blog has become consumed with Kael. Mostly my pregnancy with him, and his monthly updates. I feel guilty at times, but then I take a step back. He is my world now. Nothing else seems to matter. I have a smile on my face all day long each time he accomplishes something new. I can't wait to brag, and what better way, than on my very own, personal blog!

But as much as I am consumed with Kael, I am learning that I need to take time for myself. I love the child to pieces, but for my own sanity I have to get away every once in a while.

After I had Kael, I knew I needed to do something drastic to get into shape. I want to be able to keep up with him. I can already envision him crawling and walking and running around this house. I want him to run and play outside, and I want to be able to chase him and not feel out of breath. I want to take pictures of our family, and love them to pieces, instead of glaring at my double chin and wanting to crop myself out.

Kevin and I began weight watchers when Kael was about 9 weeks old. We have both fallen in love with the program and have been seeing great results. Kevin found his niche with Crossfit. It's a form or working out that is mainly weighs, and using your body (pull-ups, push-ups, etc). I on the other hand, wasn't really sure where to turn, in terms of exercise. I have always been involved in sports and considered myself athletic, but after high school I just let it all slip away. I found a program called couch to 5k. It seemed easy enough. A 9 week program, which starts you extremely slow, and helps you build up to 3 miles in a work out. I figured this was perfect for me since I needed something that would start me off slow since I was just getting back into the swing of things. I was also deathly afraid of working out after giving birth, due to my 4th degree tear.

After my first week, I was hooked. I have come to love running... and find myself wanting more. I am only supposed to run 3 days a week, but I am itching to hit that treadmill. I don't know what it is. Why I feel this draw to running. Maybe because it allows me to have some "me" time. It gives me a chance to empty my mind, and just go. I find myself wondering, "Why am I running?". One reason is to thank God for allowing me to have this body. That I was able to carry a child to full term and give birth to a beautiful baby boy. I want to take care of this body from now on, in hopes that I will be lucky enough to provide Kael with siblings. Another reason is to reward myself. I deserve that time to myself. It also helps relieve any stress or frustration I might be feeling, and actually helps give me the extra energy I need due to the lack of sleep I am now experiencing.

Once I realized that this was something that I really enjoyed, I went to Kevin. I wanted to find a way to push myself. Not to settle for running a 5k and then quitting the program. So I have decided to train for a half marathon! I am actually really excited, and find myself pushing a little harder with each work out. And what better way to push myself, than to sign up for the Walt Disney World Half Marathon! We will be going to Disney January 5-10, and the race is on the 7th. I am so excited, I can barely stand it! We booked our trip today, and I can't stop grinning. We wanted to go to Disney for our honeymoon, but just didn't have the money to do it back then. This will be the first vacation Kevin and I have taken together since we have been married, and I couldn't be happier that Kael gets to join in the fun this time around. I know he wont remember anything, but I will never forget! :)

No comments: