Tuesday Kevin and I took a day trip to Anchorage. We rode a Coast Guard C-130 plane, which was an experience in itself. First of all, it was SUPER loud! We were given ear plugs to wear, and it was still so loud you couldn't even talk to the person sitting next to you. Secondly, when we flew onto Elmendorf Air Force base in anchorage the whole back of the plane opened up...like the stuff you see in movies where they parachute out! We were already on the ground, but it totally took me by surprise. The seats in the plane we like old, hand-me-down seats from a real airplane and it sat 51 people surprisingly. Once we landed, we were on the middle of the run way at the Air Force base so you can only imagine the planes we saw. There were these jets that were "practicing" or something that were pretty awesome looking. I will have to ask Kevin what they are called again, but everyone was super impressed. I got a few good pictures through the window on the bus we rode to the "terminal" so I will try to upload those a little later.
Once we were there, the day flew by! I definitely realize now that a weekend trip would be much more productive. We wasted so much time getting our rental car and dropping off equipment for the Coast Guard. We ended up eating breakfast at IHOP and I have never enjoyed my french toast more in my life! It was AMAZING! After that we went to a small mall that had an American Eagle, Old Navy, Pac Sun, etc. It was your basic mall- but still lacking a lot of stores. After that we went to a shopping center with Target, Kohls, Sports Authority, and Best Buy. We only had time to go into Kohls and Target. Everything was so rushed and not what I was expecting at all. Next we went back to the base, picked up some paperwork, and then went to another mall. This was like the holy grail! It was HUGE... and had everything! I wish we would have just spent the whole day there.
Either way, I'm glad we went. It was nice to see what the real world looks like. I was disappointed we didn't get to eat at least one other meal there, but it is probably for the best! It was definitely hard to come back home after that trip. I have no clue how I am going to handle it when we go home for 2 weeks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment